George Charles Garman 09/09/09 to 01/29/10

January 29, 2010 our world was turned upside down when our 4 month old little boy earned his wings after a battle with Mitochondrial Disease and awoke in the Lords loving arms.

"Life can not be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

George's Guardian's of Grace Projects

Stocking project is now in full force collecting donations. We have a list of the items we can use. You can also choose to sponsor a stocking in memory or honor of someone else. We will include a paragraph or two in the cards we place in the stockings to let the recipient know about the person that means so much to you. Our paypal account is posted on this page and ready to take donations. Email us for a list of items needed or with any questions or information you would like included on a sponsored stocking/donation.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Having Moments

Each of us are having our moments each day. The past two days have been rather difficult for me. I think it has just been bugging me that we all prepare for life but not death. We have been met with many people who just don't "get it" You know they mean well but lord knows in the midst of all of the pain and grief you just sometimes don't have the patience to deal with that. I think that is the very reason that loosing a child makes you feel very alienated from the world and as if everyone elses lives are going on while yours stands still.

We went to church today and it is one of the places that I feel comfortable for some reason. I don't think I am met with looks of pitty and people there understand without having to be told or pacified. We can just "be" and it is ok to just be that. It also helps that part of our little man is laid to rest in their memorial garden and I just somehow feel closer to him when I am there. Many times I felt the sun beaming in the window during the service and could just feel his presence there with me letting me know it was ok.

It is funny how people either ask you how you are doing or don't ask because they just don't knwo what to say or do. The dynamics of grief and death have truly facinated me over the past few weeks as we watch people try to come to terms with it and handle something like this. When you are asked how you are doing, many times you just want to say "alive" and that is good for now. You know if you say that,that the person would feel bad or just not know what to say so a good portion of the time you say ok or as good as can be expected. I have yet to decide what is better someone asking or someone not...it is such an odd thing to really have to deal with.

Today I ordered the pendants for Hugh and I to put some of the baby's ashes into. In some way it will be as if I can always have a piece of him with me. It sounds kind of odd but both of us find some solice in that. I also ordered a stepping stone for the memorial garden we want to put in our back yard. It has a beatuiful saying on it and will have his name and dates on it.

We are looking forward to finally having a purpose for that one spot in the yard that was not finished with Joshua's project. It was a spot our trampoline was suppose to be in but it wound up being broken and we could not repair it. I also emailed the nursery that helped with Josh's project to inquire about yellow roses to plant in it and some other plants. For whatever reason, yellow roses remind me of my angel. I even bought some at the store for myself the other day and took one to lay at the place he was laid to rest at our church today.

It amazes me also how we have found and lost friends throughout this whole process. People we expected to be there for us just weren't and others who we never anticipated filled the void. I had a friend I grew up with send me a beautiful momento box that had monkeys on it with a place for a picture in it. We played softball together and her mom even showed up at the service. We have not spoken in years. Another friend I went to high school and his wife were at the service. Hugh and I both knew the two of them. Hugh went to school with the wife and I went to school with the husband. It was so odd but there is too much conincidence in all of it for us to not keep in touch and fordge this relationship. I also had friends I grew up with from a very young age, who lost their mother recently, show up, and we have not spoken in years.

I know that George had a purpose here and have been told by many that he touched their lives in some way. My friend quit his second job just to spend time with his family. Many other things have come to fruition since his passing that we are so greatful for and know that God has had his hands in this from the very beginning dispite our knowledge. I can't say that I am not upset about it all and that it took him dying to make these changes in peoples lives but I am also greatful that it did and his death was not in vain. There are moments when I am so mad about it all and that I just want him back with us but I know I cannot have that. I hate to always be the "one who understands" and always has these things happen to me. In the end, I know I am a stronger person and that if this happened to someone else they would not be able to handle it. I always hate when people say God only gives you what you can handle...sometimes I want to knwo what in the world he is thinking!!!

I've been coping a lot through music and by just being home with my family. The boys are their own sort of therapy. Hugh and I have always had a strong relationship(dispite a few ups and downs like everyone) but we have found ourselves to become even closer. I never thought that I could love him any more but somehow find that it is possible. He is such a wonderful person and I know we are blessed to have one another. I know that our lives have been changed forever and we are now part of a club we never wanted to be a member of. Each of us is handling this in our own way but dispite that we are becoming closer in so many ways.

The one fact that probably hurts the most is that we will always feel this terrible loss for the rest of our lives. No matter how many lives are changed due to this and all the good that has come of it, we will forever have part of us missing. The very thought of that is so overwhelming and saddens me greatly. There is no waking from the nightmare, there is just coping and living dispite the fact that you will always have this hole in your heart or yearning for something you will not have again in your lifetime. We have become one of the statistics as Hugh said today. Every day parents are loosing children, it is just now we are part of that group and can never go back. We will continue to do our best to "live" and serve our purpose here until we are called home ourselves. We no longer fear dying for we know when our day comes, we will be whole again. The very thought of that is just so awsome that all fears are laid to rest...it took our 4 month old to teach us both that lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be there for you and your family Nicole, but I have been going thought some health issues lately. I would love to come down there next weekend and just watch sponge bob or play with the kids or go foood shopping with you or bring dinner.( make a mean healthy hamburger helper) etc....

    Anyway, I wanted to tell you something that I realized when I was asking "why" to God.

    That phrase, "he only gives you what you can handle." is not the right phrase.

    It is actually, "He gives you only what He can handle."

    I find strength in this because it means that I don't have to be strong. I can be weak in Him. I hate being strong. Its so unfair that some people have to be strong while others are just weaklings and get away with it. LOL then i realized that I was weak too and my strength was not my own.

    I don't know if this makes any sense but it was what I thought of when I read your post. I hope it gives you stength. If it just makes you mad then forget I wrote it. I know emotions are raw right now.

    I love you and your family deeply Nicole.

    Sarah DeBardeleben

    ReplyDelete

Video Tributes/Celebration of Life Footage


Here is a link to a video tribute that was made by Richard's dad in memory of George. Get out your tissues!


http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1360981185308&ref=mf



We Finally have footage from the service up and running:



http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1368692138077&ref=mf



http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1368733099101



http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1368770540037



http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1368789060500



It is in 4 sections running about 17 mins each. If you were unable to attend, you can now see what you missed. We were so blessed to have everyone there with us in person and in spirit!









Me With My Prince Charming In Front of the Castle

Me With My Prince Charming In Front of the Castle